Monday, March 24, 2008

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus...

"Father, all-powerful and ever-living God, we do well always and everywhere to give you thanks through Jesus Christ our Lord.
We praise you with greater joy than ever on this Easter night, when Christ became our paschal sacrifice.
He is the true Lamb who took away the sins of the world.
By dying he destroyed our death; by rising he restored our life.
And so, with all the choirs of angels in heaven we proclaim your glory and join in their unending hymn of praise"

- Preface of Easter I

I have always found the preface to the Eucharistic Prayer to be a moment of contemplation of the universality of Christ's church. The priest's invitation for us in joining with the heavenly host as they sing God's praise allows me to connect my prayer with all of those who are on this earth now, as well as those who have gone before us!

I think of my grandparents, friends, and mentors who have gone on to their eternal reward. People like Msgr. Charles Kelly, my campus minister during my years at the College of William and Mary. I also recall family and friends who are not physically present, but who are sharing at the same Eucharistic Table nonetheless. Father Kenneth Lasch, my childhood pastor, in New Jersey. Or My parents in Williamsburg, Virginia and sister in Arlington, Virginia.

But this Easter, a whole new group of folks came to mind. People I have never met in real life, some of whom do not know that I exist! Bloggers. People of faith who have shared parts of their faith journey with me via websites such as this. I prayed for Deacon Greg Kandra, as I imagined him singing the Exsultet for the first time at an Easter Vigil. Or Rocco, of Whispers, whose "on the spot" reporting of all things ecclesial is expressed with a deep faith that shows that, for him, this is not just about reporting facts. Recently I came across the blog of a young teacher in Texas, Andie, who has taken to writing a blog of her own. When I read Theophany All Over I am able to see the strong faith of a woman living out a life of vocation. There are many others, far too many to list here. But you get the point.

I am connected to them all. One Bread, One Body, One Lord of all. Each time I receive the Eucharist, that Unity is present. I am connected to the full communion that is the Church!

No comments: