Saturday, August 23, 2008

What Exit?

It has been ten years since I made the move down to Lynchburg, Virginia. However, I think it is safe to say that although your can take the man out of New Jersey, you can never take New Jersey out of the man! There is something in our DNA that makes us crank up the car stereo every time a Springsteen song comes on the radio!

That having been said, when I did so this week, the lyrics came across in a way they never have before. Deacon Greg has often commented on Springteen's Spirituality. This verse in particular seems to hit on several Gospel themes:

Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king
And a king ain't satisfied till he rules everything.
I wanna go out tonight, I wanna find out what I got.
Now I believe in the love that you gave me
I believe in the faith that could save me
I believe in the hope and I pray that some day
It will raise me above these
Badlands...
So, crank up the volume, roll down the windows and enjoy!


No comments: